I’m one of the co-leads of Data+Women Germany. Use this page to browse content from our past meetings:
- Sarah Bartlett: Skills For Success: Tips To Help You Become A Better Data Analyst
- Lena Reick: Dual Axes In Tableau: Double The Axes, Double The Analytics
- Emily Kund: Accessibility In Data Visualization
- Daria Voronova: The Power Of Freedom That Lives Within, Or: How To Find Your Authentic Path And Make Your Dreams Come True
- Alison Holland: Quantifying User Feedback – How Text Mining Helped Me Become A Better Listener To Our Users
- Corinna Müller: Data Modeling with SQL
- İrem Sefa Yayımlar: Brand Your Super Power
Sign up for future events:
- Lindsay Betzendahl, Christina Gorga, & Michelle Frayman: Meet #MomsWhoViz
- Eugenia Kis: Tableau Community Equity Task Force
- Katarzyna Szymanska: My Data Science Journey
Sarah Bartlett: Skills for Success: Tips To Help You Become A Better Data Analyst
Sarah walked us through her top 9 tips on the road to becoming a data analytics expert.
- Master the basics.
- Practice regularly.
- Ask the right questions.
- Study design fundamentals.
- Publish your work.
- Engage with the community.
- Get certified.
- Leverage community resources.
- Teach others.
Lena Reick: Dual Axes In Tableau: Double The Axes, Double The Analytics
Lena talked about her favourite Tableau feature: dual axes. Nicknamed “Miss Dual Axes” by her colleagues, she introduced us to use cases and no-go’s around dual axes in data visualization.
Emily Kund: Accessibility In Data Visualization
Emily inspired us all with her primer on accessibility in data viz. She showed us the many ways in which we should cater to a diverse audience, educated us on inclusive design, and opened up a multitude of paths for us to create data visualization experiences that target all audiences.
As an entrepreneur and Quiz Queen, Emily offers loads of insightful content, make sure to check out her website. Follow her on Twitter, as well, and watch the recording of her talk as well as use her slides as reference:
Daria Voronova: The Power Of Freedom That Lives Within, Or: How To Find Your Authentic Path And Make Your Dreams Come True
Daria lead us through her journey in data analytics, telling us about the crossroads she passed, the decisions she had to make, the development she now looks back on, and how to flourish by pursuing your passion.
Alison Holland: Quantifying User Feedback – How Text Mining Helped Me Become A Better Listener To Our Users
A lot of user feedback comes in written form and it can be tricky to keep track of the most pressing issues. Text mining in R opened a whole new analysis opportunity that began with analysing written feedback in surveys, then evolved into combining reviews, customer support feedback and survey feedback in a visual and quantifiable way. Alison led us through her process of survey analytics.
Text Mining in R:
- Text Mining Guide
- DataCamp for R basics
- DataCamp for text mining
- Sentiment analysis with negation proofing -> the sentimentr package was great for this!
- Measuring U
- Quantifying the User Experience: Practical Statistics for User Research
- Excel and R Companion to the 2nd Edition of Quantifying the User Experience
Find the recording of Alison’s session here:
Corinna Müller: Data Modeling with SQL
Corinna gave us an introduction into data modeling using SQL to make sure your data is in the right shape to build a report in Tableau without using an extra ETL tool.
You can connect with Corinna on LinkedIn. She mentioned the following resources during her session, so check these out:
- Database: PostgreSQL
- Data: Tableau Bookstore (tables used in demo: Book, Edition, Author, TradingDates)
- the finished SQL statement (uploaded as text file)
- SQL Island, a game to learn SQL by playing (if it shows up in German, go to the menu with the three horizontal lines and select the third option “Sprache wechseln” to change language to English or Português)
Watch the recording of Corinna’s session on YouTube:
İrem Sefa Yayımlar: Brand Your Super Power
İrem introduced us to the basics of personal branding as well as the power behind it, and she walked us through an exercise that will help you align who you want to be perceived as with how people currently perceive you.
İrem is specialized in strategic marketing & brand management, and is an accredited Personal Branding Guru. Combining her passion of empowering women with her expertise and experiences, she is currently running her own business, BrandyMe Personal Branding Consultancy, and she is the founder of the international Brand Women Leaders Community for women infopreneurs. İrem helps women in business recreate their personal brands, demonstrating their unique value and leadership in the relevant industry.
Watch the recording of İrem’s session on YouTube: